Call Today 609-561-1015

Attorneys For Military Discharge Review Board Matters

For servicemen and women in the U.S. armed forces, their service helps define who they are for the rest of their lives. Characterization of service and the circumstances of their discharge can have a dramatic impact on how their service and contributions are perceived, leading many to seek a review of their characterization or an upgrade to their discharge.

The Cody Law Firm is dedicated to assisting military members with their legal issues, including correcting mistakes or injustices in military records and discharges. Our lawyers serve clients nationwide and internationally and statewide at the New Jersey National Guard Base, the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center Cape May and the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Our team can pursue administrative remedies to correct your record and, if necessary, take your case to the appropriate Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR) or the Discharge Review Board (DRB).

Call 609-561-1015 to speak with an experienced U.S. military law attorney about your discharge or military record. You can also contact the firm online.

BCMR Requests And DRB Upgrades

There are strict deadlines to meet and guidelines to adhere to when seeking a correction to a military record. Here is a general overview:

  • BCMR requests: Whether a service member is on active duty, separated or retired, he or she can apply to the service's Board for the Correction of Military Records to correct an error or an injustice in military personnel records. Requests should be submitted within three years of discovering the mistake.
  • DRB upgrades: Former members of the armed services can apply for an upgrade in their discharge certificate (DD-214). If the former service member is deceased or has been declared incompetent, the surviving spouse, next of kin or legal representative can apply on his or her behalf. These amendments can be requested up to 15 years after the discharge took place. The Discharge Review Board will consider several factors and documents, often including the basis of the discharge, when the discharge occurred, the applicant's record since the discharge and personal and professional letters of reference.

The Cody Law Firm in New Jersey is one of the few firms in the U.S. with significant experience in military records correction. In building a case for an honorable discharge or improved characterization of service, the firm's attorneys will work diligently to paint a clear picture of your current standing in life in addition to demonstrating why your initial discharge may have been flawed or occurred for reasons no longer recognized under military code.

Contact A United States Military Record Lawyer In Hammonton, New Jersey

To learn more about how a U.S. military review board attorney at The Cody Law Firm can protect your rights regarding the DRB or BCMR, please call 609-561-1015. You can also contact the firm online. Based in Hammonton, New Jersey, the firm represents clients across the nation and overseas.

Contact Us Today

The Cody Law Firm, LLC is committed to answering your questions about Military Justice, Courts-Martial, Military Drug Offenses, Criminal Defense, Civil Litigation, Business & Corporate Services, Municipal Court Matters/DWI, and Wills and Estates law issues in New Jersey.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.